Hello everyone!
Well, everyone who reads this blog.
There is a HUGE problem with our Kenyan Farmers. They still believe that commercial crops give them a lot of money.
Well, that was back in the 90's and 80's. Before everyone started growing the same thing for the same purpose.
Rift Valley, for example has potential for many more crops other than tea, coffee, maize and wheat. Central, or what was formerly Central, has good climate for green house crops. Western can support a lot more than just sugarcane.
At least I believe that.
And with all the technological advancement the last 30 or so years seen in the agricultural sector, we can make our farms and gardens anywhere so long as we can tap into Mother Nature's unlimited sources of power. We have seen Israel grow their own food, and we have seen Turkana discover oil... I think it's time we used all he free wind, solar and earth to it's maximum potential.
Why?
Well, because these are things God gave us, and whatever God giveth, we should useth.
Wait, is useth even right?
><><><><>
On my way to school, today, my mum looked at the pathetic earth road and shook her head. Then she looked at the crops that looked really stunted growing on the parcels of land by the road. Again, she shook her head.
My mother teaches Social Studies and she came from an agricultural background. I trust her eyes very much. She started to talk about monocropping and cash cropping and the effect it has on the soil's nutrient level. I was like, "preach it momma!" of course in my head, but the point is, even the older generation that used to migrate in the equatorial forest used to leave the patches of land they grew their crops in to regain fertility.
Which brings me to my next point. Why can't people try mixed farming? Or they plant other crops, especially legumes in between the cereal crop's lines. This will help maintain the nutrient level of the soil.
While talking about nutrients, did you know that certain plants only grow in VERY fertile soils? These are mushrooms and a certain vegetable that is found in old milking parlours and outdoor holding pens. They are kind of slimy, (it is not mrenda) and they are very nutritious.
I have never had mushroom, but my dad and elder sister seem to have very good memories of consuming the indigenous species. They are smaller than the ones in supermarkets. I have, however, not eaten any. This is surprising, considering the fact that i eat almost everything and anything.
That is what boarding school does to you.
Anyway, I have to go. I have a reasearch proposal meeting to chair.
Later!
~Me
No comments:
Post a Comment