I'm hunting.
I am looking for a new job since the last one went to the... Well, dogs, and now I need to get a new job because money is good and I need to have a balance in my bank account. A positive and healthy balance that updates itself every month. Not the kind of balance that scoffs at me when I need to dip my finger into the account. It legit scoffs at me like,"hey sweetie, you don't got any fan meets to attend as a fan, you don't got merchandise you buy, you don't got damaging lifestyle habits to fund... But what do you actually have? You are an embarrassment to your peoples and I."
I tell MY account to shut it and give me money but it always warns me to top it up with a salary and i'm like... "I get you, really, I do, but sista don't got a job, she hunting hard to get something new."
My bank account says I need to hunt harder, work harder, be louder... And other short stories. I find myself looking at my balance and I make a face. I'm like, "seriously, how did my life turn out this way?"
So i'm job hunting so that I can actually pamper my parents and grandparents in their old age. See, only my maternal grandparents are left, so I have to do my best to make them proud to have an educated grandchild.
Back to the hunting update, so I am doing all sorts of applications: auditions, emails, sharing CVs... I really hope that I can get a call back. In my entire career, i've only ever gotten three callbacks asking me to go for an interview, and most times, i've probably never met the specifications or appealed to the company or organisation I have applied to.
I don't know what lies ahead. I actually hope that things change soon. A recording label's contract, an NGOs contract, a government contract... Anything works... Though I had really been looking to get a label's contract. I think I got PTSD from my last job.
People keep telling me that 90s kids are having it rough. I didn't know how bad it was until I found myself in this situation back in 2015. Getting a place to do my electives was aggravating. I remember almost losing my cool around the man who had told my friend and I to apply for it a week earlier. When I applied for my internship at the place I did my electives, someone lied to me about all the internship posts being filled and rejected my application. Going to the county government's offices yielded nothing fruitful either. I had to go to the neighbouring county to get a chance.
Fast forward to months later, I was doing a year's unpaid internship and while I was glad to gain experience, the issue about medical cover in case of anything, and money for upkeep and transport was a common issue that crossed my mind. Eventually, I didn't even do the council's exams because there was no money earned from internship to pay for it.
My luck seemed to change when I came to manage Delicious Delight (which closed down later). It was only for a short while as I had concurrently applied for an internship in an NGO which I got into.
Maybe I shouldn't have thought things would change for the better then, because things only calmed down for three months. After that, trial by fire and brimstone ensued, and before I knew it, I was shoved out. The melee that ensued after my exit greatly changed everyone's minds. I can't even begin to express how surprised I was to find out all the crazy things that had happened while I took my leave and tried to pull through the shock of unemployment.
That will undoubtedly be the best story to share on another day, probably under "bosses from hell" hhah.
Fast forward to today, and I am preparing to audition for a chance to enter a company that only wants people born after 1998 and who are men. Reason I am auditioning? Well, I have nothing to lose and, didn't man come from woman?
I am a riot!
Seriously though,I have nothing to lose. I'm going to learn, practice, rehearse and sing a song that will be so good (or so bad, that works too, at least for my confused self and my vocal chords ha) that they'll all ask themselves what they ever did to get tortured by me (or blessed. If you are into that kind of thing).
So, what's the checklist?
√ try everything
√ use your talents for everything and anything within my capabilities
√ express my flexibility
√ flex my abilities
√ aim to impress
√ be open to criticism
√ triple-check
√ keep going even when I hear nothing but silence (or static)
√ stay positive
√ keep smiling
√ prepare for Ramadhan (coz it is that time of the year again).
NB: should work on a new channel trailer on my youtube though. What I have looks old haha.
I have to go help out in the kitchen. It is almost lunch time. I will see you on my next update then. Till then, stay safe and warm.
Bye!
Me.
No comments:
Post a Comment