Saturday, 13 July 2013

Postponed. . . and Chapter 3 of "This My Story"

Hello everyone. i was supposed to post two stories but i could only do one. the other's images vanished. i have no idea why.

i hadn't planned anything, so, i will just post chapter 3 for you guys. you didn't tell me what you felt about the first two chapters, so it'd be lovely if you could leave me some form of feedback. okay?

well, here goes. see you guys in hmm, i don't know, but when i come back, you'll know.






 Chapter 3
That Sunday morning after early morning mass, my parents drove me to Caity’s. She had also attended it. We found ourselves having fun as she played the song and I sang.

We had lunch in town before we headed to the venue of the show, which was a high school’s football field. The school was called St. Mark’s. It was one of the biggest and most organized schools in Eldoret. As we drove in, we signed our names at the gates. We were performers.

So far, the turnout had been awesome. I looked around and saw a few girls and boys from my school who I never talked to. This Competition was the first of its type in this town to be held. I knew for a fact that I would be representing my school in the music category. There had been no disagreements whatsoever. I was the best, and Caity was the most brilliant music student in the school.

“We will be over here dear,” my mum said as she handed my dad the video camera that they had brought with them. They had decided to embrace the digital world and had eventually learnt how to use the digital camcorder that the Gellers’ had given them during their previous visit.

“I am a little nervous,” I admitted to all of them. Caity’s nanny smiled and hugged me.

“You will be awesome. I know that you can totally win this thing.” She was so sincere; I had to return the hug.

“Thanks Rehema,” I smiled as I went off with Caitlyn to meet the MC before the show started. I felt my heart skip as I saw a girl I hadn’t expected to see. Theresa, better known as Tess. She had always been a thorn on my side, though she always said I was the thorn in her side. We had not attended the same high school. She was representing Testimony School, while I was representing my school, Top Hill. As always, she sneered.

“Simple Sarah here? That’s a lame joke,” she said.

“Who is she?” Caity asked me, clearly sneering in her wake. I sighed.

“Hello Theresa.”

“The name, I believe, is Tess,” said one of her sidekicks. I knew her too, from Lawn Tennis Tournaments. Her name was Elaine, but it had been adequately shortened to Ella.

“Shut up Ella,” Tess said. She was so mean. I wonder why Ella stayed. With Tess, one only stayed for the fame. Her mum was an actress in Nairobi and had gotten Tess a few roles in music videos. She was famous merely because her mum was famous.

“So you are here to volunteer?” Tess asked.

“She is here to sing, “Caitlyn spoke up. Tess looked her over. For once, she looked a little unsure of talking, but you know Tess. She never gives up. She can be so irritating.

“So, what are you? Her mouthpiece?”

“Shut up bitch!”

Ouch! I had never heard anyone use that word in public. Except in the movies. Clearly, neither had Tess. She gulped as she looked at us both.

“See you on stage, Kadesa,” she said, moving along. Caity relaxed and I hugged her.

“That is if you can even sing, Theresa,” Caity retorted. Ouch! That has to hurt. Like really hurt. She was so gonna hate me. Tess threw both of us a dirty look. That could only mean one thing. WAR.

“Please put your hands together to welcome Sarah Kadesa and Caitlyn Geller from Top Hill doing an original song.” The MC announced us as our turn came up. I had stopped freaking out as the performances had gone on. Tess had done a cover of one of the local musicians, Amani, and had gotten a standing ovation. I was a little worried but I swallowed the nervousness and started to head up the stage.

I almost tripped as I got on it. There were close to 500 people, if not more. How did that happen? As I looked at them, I felt my heartbeat speed up. Could I manage this? Or was I just lying to myself? I saw Tess laughing and calling out “loser” to me. The music started and I felt my throat dry. Completely. I saw my mum smile and give a little wave. My dad put down the camcorder and smiled at me.

The crowd started to murmur. “Throw her out!” Tess smirked. I licked my lips nervously and looked to Caitlyn who gave me a “thumbs-up” sign.

At that moment, I saw the MC coming over. It was there and then that I knew I had to do this. If it wasn’t for me, then it was to prove Tess wrong. I smiled back at Caity who started the music again.

“This song is called Firework. I hope you guys like it”

I started to tap my foot to the beats as I waited to start. This was to all those who had ever doubted who I was, the people like Tess who thought to judge people by the amount of wealth their parents had accumulated. This was for my parents, who despite everything, had stood by me. This was for my sister and brother out there who had been with me, through thick and thin. Finally, it was for Caity, who was the bestest friend anyone could ever ask for.

As I sang, I saw people start to clap and shake their heads along with the beats. Thank you Caity, I smiled as I looked her way. She was watching every little thing I did as she did the background vocals for me. She had done an amazing job mixing everything for me. This song was the bomb.

As I went over the chorus one last time, I saw a few people try to sing along. A number of people were clapping along, standing and smiling like crazy. I returned the smile, feeling the rush of adrenaline making me this excited. I knew I wanted this, for as long as I lived. At the end of the song, I curtsied and thanked them all, smiling over at the judges.

“Wow! Wasn’t she amazing?” the MC said into the mic as he smiled at me and held my hand. I smiled back at him as he stretched to get Caity’s hand. This was amazing. I didn’t care if I didn’t win. I knew that I loved every moment of the performance. The crowd had gone wild.

“How old are you two?” he asked.

“Sixteen.” We replied with huge grins on our faces.

“Wow, sixteen. That was an intense song.” He laughed. “And to think I was going to postpone it. Everyone, Sarah and Caitlyn Geller!”

Ha-ha! He had got our names wrong. He was way too excited. Caity and I laughed as we walked off the stage.

+++   +++   +++   +++   +++   +++  +++   +++   +++   +++   +++   +++  +++   +++   +++  +++   +++  

“Okay, ladies and gentlemen, the results for the Music Category are in. I will now invite one of the judges to come and change the life of one of the contestants.”

As the mic changed hands, I watched Tess stare at me and laugh. “I guess I should start preparing my acceptance speech.” The people around started to laugh, and I joined too. Whoever won, won. I didn’t care that much because there had already been a lot of fun in it for me. I had made Tess eat her words, and that was better than anything.

“The competition was very hard to judge, “the judge began, and we were amazed by the talent shown today. All of you were amazing. Some of you were so good; you got people on their feet. We had a tough time choosing between two people. One was a boy, the other a girl.”

I heard a few people murmur. I knew the guy, or at least I had a feeling I did. He was from Wareng, and had done a cover for a Ne-yo song, which had been awesome. He had gone around singing, Go on Girl. I loved his rendition. His background vocals had not done him much justice but he had been entertaining. I saw him smile my way, and I smiled back. For once, I wasn’t being judged according to my size, and that meant a lot to me.

“After a lot of discussion, we came up with the clear winner. This envelope contains the name of the winner who is a girl.” I could see Tess moving closer to the front. She had started to blow kisses at the audience. This was amusing to most people, but others just started to tell her to sit the hell down.

“And, so, this year’s Eldoret Town’s Talent Competition winner in the music category is, ladies and gentlemen . . . drum roll please . . . Sarah Kadesa and Caitlyn Geller.”

“Thank you judge,” the MC said as he took back the mic. “That came out wrong. The winners. Where are these amazing girls?”

I stared in shock. So did Tess. She had so far made her way to the podium, and had already scooted to the MC. As she recovered, she looked over in my family’s direction and glared. My parents had the camera on and they had caught my priceless look on tape. Caitlyn was busy laughing at the top of her voice. “Sarah, it’s us! It’s us!”

“Go! Go!’’ my mum urged, slightly pushing me to my feet.

“Sarah and Caitlyn, where are you . . . hey, you are not Caitlyn, right? Get off the stage,” the MC said to a very livid looking Tess. “Sarah and Caitlyn. . . oh, there you are. I was getting worried.”

I had made my way to the front with Caity practically pulling me. It was amazing. This was my dream? I watched as the judge who had announced our names came up and handed our gift packs to the MC. We shook hands with him and got congratulated. As we left the stage, I was surprised. I really was.

The rest of the awarding went on, till they decided to award the overall winner. Again, Caity and I were called to the front and we were given a dummy cheque of fifty thousand shillings along with a fully paid trip to the Coast with our parents. I couldn’t believe it. I stared up at the sky that was starting to darken and watched the confetti fall. This was the beginning. The start of a new me, a new life. A new passion.

It was dusk, but for me, a new day had just began.  


No comments:

Post a Comment